Arthritis is a chronic disease that affects the joints and usually occurs in older persons. The sufferers go through very hard times because the pain seems to be unstoppable and thus the illness interferes with their way of life. There are no definite causes of arthritis, but it was somehow related to changes in the structure of the joints' cartilage, stress and hormonal imbalance. There is more than just one form of arthritis and the most spread and tormenting one is rheumatoid arthritis. Many people turn to arthritis herbal remedies in order to find relief from the pain. This is what herbs usually do in this disease, but they are a better alternative than taking prescribed pills because they are all natural and don't have any side effects.
1. Pain relieving herbs - Among this one, cayenne pepper is known as the most efficient. A cream made of it relieves the pain of the arthritis sufferers. Other analgesic herbs are mint, yarrow and wild yam. These should be consumed as tea, either individually or combined. Arnica is also a mild pain killer and can only be used externally. Arnica oil is efficient if massaged on the painful joints. Chamomile, juniper and rosemary have the same effect and their action is also mild.
2. Herbs with an anti-inflammatory action - Yarrow, chamomile, goldenseal, licorice, nettle, wild yam or elderberry are such plants. Use one or more of them, depending on the area you live in, in order to make an infusion and to consume it daily. This will reduce the inflammation of the joints and will provide relief.
3. Diuretic herbs - Sometimes arthritis can be caused by an accumulation of toxins in the body, so drinking tea made of diuretic herbs might help you to flush the toxins out. Such herbs are parsley, burdock and horsetail. While on a cure with diuretic teas, make sure you have the necessary amount of potassium in the body because this might also be flushed away, along with the toxins.
Other arthritis herbal remedies that have proven their efficacy in time are -
1. Boswelia - It has best results in cases of rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Alfalfa - Tea made from the seeds of this herb is an efficient herbal remedy for arthritis if at least three cups are consumed daily.
3. Lime - Lime juice is working because sometimes arthritis is caused by accumulations of uric acid in the joints. Drinking lime juice on a daily basis, preferably on an empty stomach is going to dissolve the acid.