The great help that herbal remedies can give to diabetes sufferers should not at all be neglected. Nevertheless, although certain herbs have properties that are beneficial in coping with diabetes, no one should ignore the importance of visiting a doctor and of following the treatment scheme he or she recommended. Diabetes herbal remedies should be look at as an adjuvant in the diabetes therapy. Some of them are working almost miraculously and have the ability of reducing blood sugar. Others are doing a great job in fighting diabetes complication which sometimes can be more problematic than the disease itself.
Here are some effective diabetes herbal remedies that have been used for ages.
1. Bitter melon - Clinical studies have shown that the fresh juice from the unripe fruits of this plant can lower the level of blood sugar. It is recommended to consume around 50mg of juice daily. However, a high dose can lead to gastrointestinal problems and diarrhea. This diabetes herbal remedy should be totally avoided by hypoglycemic people and patients on an insulin therapy should use it cautiously.
2. Garlic - It contains allyl propyl disulphide, a substance that increases the production of insulin in the body. Onion as a similar effect also.
3. Stevia - It increases the glucose tolerance and it can also be used as a sweetener, instead of sugar, by patients with diabetes.
4. Fenugreek - It is an herb mainly used for cooking, but it was proven that its seed contain substances with anti-diabetic properties.
5. Barberry - The tincture is a great liver tonic with a mild action. 10-30 drops of tincture are recommended to be administered.
6. Milk thistle - It seems to be rich in flavinoids and antioxidants and this is helpful in what concerns the insulin resistance.
7. Holy basil - It was proven that its compounds accelerate the functioning of beta cells and helps the body to release more insulin.
8. Ivy gourd - It has properties that mimic the role of insulin in the body.
9. Gingko Biloba - It is helpful in treating the early phases of diabetic neuropathy.
10. Gymnema Sylvestre - It assists the pancreas in producing insulin and it increases the insulin's capacity of lowering the level of blood sugar. 500 mg. of gymnema extract are recommended to be taken daily.
11. Asian ginseng - It multiplies the number of insulin receptors and it also assists the pancreas in producing insulin. It is a traditional diabetes remedy in the Chinese medicine.