Herbs are used for centuries in treating various medical conditions and they have proven their efficacy more than once. They have a bunch of advantages over artificial pills, the most significant being the fact that they don't produce any side effects. Diabetes is one of the many medical conditions that can be controlled or managed through herbal remedies. The action of diabetes herbs can be easily compared with that of anti-diabetic pills. Most of them control the blood sugar naturally and others also fight the diabetes complications. It is not uncommon to develop, due to diabetes, heart disease, kidney problems, eye or dental problems. They can all be kept under control only using what nature is giving us. However, diabetes herbs should only be used under medical supervision. They don't have side effects, but their action can differ if you are also taking artificial pills for controlling the disease.
Some of the diabetes herbs have even been clinically tested and one of the most known and effective are -
1. Blueberry - The leaves have the ability of eliminating the excess of sugar in the body and they also reduce potential inflammation of the kidneys or of the bladder.
2. Fenugreek - The seeds are used as a spice and the leaves have medicinal properties. Seeds reduce both the blood sugar and the blood cholesterol, so they are also effective in cases of overweight. Fenugreek is not recommended in pregnant or breast feeding women and administered excessively can lead to gastrointestinal problems.
3. Gingko Biloba - It has been used in the traditional Chinese medicine and finally its benefits have also reached the modern world. It is good in preventing diabetes retinopathy and it also improves blood circulation in the extremities of the body.
4. Onion - As well as garlic, it seems to have a lowering effect on the blood sugar. As long as it is consumed daily, it doesn't matter if it is raw or cooked because it keeps its anti-diabetic properties.
5. Banaba - The compounds contained by this herb have an insulin-like action in the body. It is a variety of myrtle that grows in Australia, Philippines and Malaysia.
6. Indian Kino - It is a traditional Indian remedy for diabetes and its action can't be matched by other herb or artificial pill. It has the capacity of regenerate the pancreatic beta cells.
7. Bilberry - It is efficient in avoiding diabetes complications like diabetes cataract or retinopathy.