Breast milk is the source of living for the new born babies. It provides the immunity, nutrients, and helps in the growth of teeth, bones and the brain development. The mother's milk creates the bond of love between the mother and new born baby. The baby who is fed on the mother's milk has fewer health problems than the one who is not.
The benefit of the breastfeeding is not limited to the child but also extends to the health of mother. The nursing mother may face the problems with the breasts in the few early weeks after delivery, but later the parameters are balanced. This is the nature's art to keep a woman young and beautiful.
One of the major problems faced by the breastfeeding woman is slow decline in quantity of milk production or loss of milk in breasts. The clinical symptoms which are identified alongside it are laxity of breasts, dilute or clear milk, fatigue and pale complexion.
The reasons responsible for the above mentioned symptoms are identified as anger, grief, lack of love and relatedness towards baby, excessive dieting, physical exercise, eating habits, excessive intercourse, and re-pregnancy after short interval of time.
A number of methods which can be followed at home for the improvement in lactation or breast milk are as below:
1. Drink plenty of water and other fluids along with enough rest during the day. The nursing mother should avoid excessive exercises.
2. Dry the nipples in open air whenever possible and keep them dry. This helps in reducing the lactation problems.
3. Feed the child frequently, this helps in safeguarding nipples from various ailments and increase the milk production.
4. Don't apply soap on the nipples as it has the drying effect on them.
5. Chaste tree preparations help increase the milk production by acting on the pituitary gland.
6. Keep the green cabbage leaves in the bra for 2 hours. This helps in reducing the engorgement of breasts.
7. Alfalfa is helpful in increasing the milk production in the feeding mother. This is a popular home remedy to increase lactation.
8. Diet full in fruits and cereals helps in increasing milk production. Cooked unripe papayas also help in increasing the milk production in breastfeeding mothers.
9. Having a cup of milk with half teaspoonful of cinnamon powder every night helps in improving the milk production.
10. A cup of milk with half teaspoonful of fennel is also a good home remedy to increase lactation.
11. One teaspoonful of cumin with warm milk every night is a great home remedy for increasing the milk production.
12. Goat's rue is proven to be helpful in increasing the milk production by midwives.
13. A fluid rich meal and the vegetables, pulses and animal meat soups are also helpful in increasing the milk production.
14. Garlic and onion added in other dishes are also good stimulants of milk production.
15. The diet rich in oil and fats should be given to the nursing mother. Coconut oil is a good supplement and milk should also be provided to her.
16. Mental and physical fatigue should be avoided as they worsen the problems of lactation.
17. The feeding mother should be happy and the anger and grief states of mind should be avoided.