The risks related to pregnancy increases after the age of thirty-five to forty years, but one can reduce the risks by staying in touch with the medical practioner throughout the term of pregnancy. Mother-to-be needs to follow health routines and be extra careful during the gestation period to deliver healthy babies. There are many risks associated to maternity after forty, but most of the problems can be treated.
Mother-to-be at forty is at a higher risk if she is
1. Suffering from some chronic medical condition
2. Has high blood pressure
3. Is taking certain medications
Older women may find it hard to get pregnant although the number of women getting pregnant after thirty-five years has increased because women want to feel financially secure and have stability in their career, before becoming a mother. Older women get a chance to spend more time with their partner before becoming a mother, as raising children needs lot of effort and time.
Couples, who are not settled in their relationship or in their profession, may find it very difficult to take care of the new born and the baby may suffer in ignorance. Older women are more aware of the needs of the kids, and they are mature and prepared to take care of the new born baby.
1. There is a great declination in fertility in women, who are above forty years and by the age of forty-six years; it gets impossible for women to get pregnant from her eggs. Egg donor may be needed after forty-five years.
2. Women after forty years may not be capable of delivering a full term baby.
3. Even the children born to mothers above forty years are at a risk of suffering from high blood pressure and diabetes.
1. At forty, there are twenty-five percent chances of getting pregnant with your own eggs but after forty, there is only five percent chance of getting pregnant with your own eggs. The chance of conceiving is forty to fifty percent, as the number of eggs released reduces with age.
2. Even if a woman has conceived after forty, the miscarriage rate may be very high and there are other problems such as diabetes and high blood pressure, which can increase the overall risk.
3. If the mother is becoming first time pregnant after forty years, the chance of delivering through cesarean increases.
4. The baby may be delivered preterm and the weight of baby is very low, if the newborn is preterm baby. Extra care is needed for a preterm baby.
5. Chances of prolonged labor and fetal distress are also very high.
6. Overall expense of pregnancy gets high for a woman after 40.
7. The risk of delivering a baby having Down's syndrome increases in mothers of higher ages.
Women, who want to be mother after forty years, should regularly pay a visit to the doctor and eat healthy food during the nine months of pregnancy to deliver a healthy baby. Exercise and extra prenatal care is needed to prevent adverse conditions.