Researchers have been trying to find out the impact of stress during pregnancy on the unborn baby and there are two different ideas of the effect of stress on the fetus. A group of researchers claim that stress can harm fetal development and the health of the mother-to-be and another group does not find any severe impact on the unborn baby.
Research that supports effect of stress on fetus
1. It has been claimed by a research conducted by the University of Denmark that stress defines the gender of the baby. Low stress can result in baby boy.
2. Ohio State University Medical Center research team found that stress during pregnancy can result in the birth of an autistic child. Mothers of autistic children said they suffered intense stress or shock during pregnancy.
3. Stress during pregnancy can have impact on the emotional behavior of the unborn baby.
There are claims made by certain groups of researchers, who feel there is no effect of mother's emotional condition on the fetuses behavioral or health, except that it can cause premature births and may reduce the birth weight and the cases of low birth weight and premature births are extremely low. Hence, there is no effect of stress on the baby of a pregnant woman.
Anyway, researchers agree that stress can affect the blood pressure and increase the heart rate of the mother-to-be and hence, mother-to-be should try to reduce stress in their everyday life to stay healthy.
3. Reduction in concentration level
5. Loss of appetite
6. Non relaxing behavior
7. High blood pressure
8. Pain in body
It is a common to feel stressed during pregnancy. Women who suffer from medical issues or financial issues during pregnancy are stressed due to their personal problems and women who are not financial insecure or have uncomplicated pregnancy, may feel stressed, because stress is a side effect of pregnancy.
Steps to Reduce Stress
1. Take a healthy diet to reduce stress and anxiety. One can take lots of fruits or fruit juices. One should not eat junk food and carbonated drinks as it can provide you energy for some minutes but it is not good for health. Pregnant women can take small meals in short intervals throughout the day.
2. Take plenty of sleep and rest.
3. Exercising can reduce anxiety.
4. Yoga and medications can prevent stress.
5. Talking to people and communicating may help in reducing stress. One can talk to their partner to feel happy.
6. Reduce your work load. Delegate work as you are already stressed. Many pregnant women feel drowsy during daytime in the first trimester and may not find it easy to concentrate on everyday work. Many women have the feeling of depression and mood swings. One can talk to a counselor to feel happy.
7. Going for a shower, getting a massage or taking aromatherapy helps in relieving body ache and stress.
8. Indulge in hobby activities such as listening to music or painting.
9. Breathing exercises helps in reducing depression.