Depression is a mood disorder and there can be many reasons for depression. It is described as the state of mind when a person feels hopeless and sad. There are many causes for mood disorders, such as hormone changes, stress, and use of alcohol, injury and personal loss. Depression may further cause health problems such as sleeplessness and anger. A depressed person may feel ignored, restless, lacking energy, lacking concentration and have a reduced appetite. Many people who are depressed get negative thoughts to make them to consider committing suicide.
Medically, there are three types of mood disorders
1. Dysthymia is the condition, in which, the patient has a history of depression and it may trigger at sometimes in life, otherwise the patient is happy. It is a kind of recurring depression condition.
2. Bipolar illness is a condition, in which, the person suffers from sudden mood disorders.
3. Major depression - It is a condition in which the person suffers from depression many times in a day and the normal lifestyle is disturbed due to the depression.
Causes - Emotional stress, changes in hormone, work load, anxiety, hereditary conditions, deficiency and environmental changes can cause negative thoughts. It can also be easily transmitted from one person to other.
1. Eating cardamom or taking it with tea, helps in giving positive thoughts.
2. Rose water is also effective in changing mood.
3. Yoga and exercises such as deep breathing helps in relaxing and it can be done to early in the morning.
4. Taking warm milk with honey and apples is effective against mood disorders.
5. Fruit juices such as orange juice can be taken.
6. Take almonds soaked in milk and remove the peeling of the almond.
7. Massage with mustard oil to relieve brain. Herbs which can relive the brain and improve memory are brahmi, ashwagandha, mulethi and vacha.
8. Person who is depressed should take rest in a dark room and after rest, one may feel relaxed.
9. Drink a tea made from Indian basil.
10. Take a lot of fresh juices and eat fruits. Take a diet rich in nutrients, as low nutrition diet can cause depression.
11. Acupuncture, aroma therapy, meditation, yoga and relaxation help in changing mood. Massage and exercising is very important to reduce depression.
12. Listening to the music of your choice, playing games, spending time with little kids, going to your favorite club, meeting friends, making your favorite dish, gardening, joining a hobby class, reading your favorite novel, making a artwork or painting, bringing some changes in your appearance and taking a shower - all these helps to change mood. People, who are stressed of their jobs should plan a holiday - either stay at home or go for a short trip to bring a change in mood.
13. Guide imagery is also effective in treating depression. The patient is asked to think about the good things and mentally designs imageries of the situation, which gives him or her happiness. There are many natural scenarios such as mountains, waterfalls, oceans, sunrise, chirping of birds and movement of flies, which can give happiness to a person.