Chest congestion refers to a condition, when an individual finds it tough to cough, breathe and splitter. Allergy can also cause chest congestion. It is caused due to infection, asthma and pneumonia. Both children and adults can be affected by this disorder. It can also be caused because of working overtime and mental stress.
There are several home remedies and herbal treatment that can help in healing the chest congestion. Given below are some of them which will surely benefit the affected.
1. Honey holds the anti bacterial agent called hydrogen peroxide. Consuming honey will make your body fight against bacteria and virus. Person suffering from chest congestion notices less coughing and therefore, it helps in minimizing the discomfort.
2. It is a natural that water wipes out the dirtiness of any system. Obviously a person, who is suffering from chest congestion, must drink plenty of water. At the same time, if a person becomes dehydrated, the mucous present in the chest will tend to get thickened. If the victim drinks plenty of water it will be easier for him to cough and breathe especially during night.
3. A healthy diet can help equally in preventing and curing chest congestion. Add fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily diet as these are high in antioxidant, which helps in the functioning of lungs. A good source incorporates capsicum, spinach and berries.
4. Consume more of foods that are rich in enzymes that help to break down the mucous. Good sources of enzymes involves kiwi fruit, pineapple etc.
5. Cut down the consumption of foods which encourages the formation of mucous. Foods include milk, wheat and high sugary products.
6. Garlic is found to fight with infections. So add garlic to your daily diet. It is a useful home remedy for chest congestion.
7. Avoid alcoholic drugs to prevent chest congestion.
8. Consume foods that are rich in vitamin C. It not only cures any disorder but also plays a key role for mild natural antihistamine. This reduces inflammation in the airways and minimizes the formation of mucous. Foods that are rich in vitamin C include lemon, berries and oranges.
9. Essential oils have the characteristics of fighting against infection. It also helps in clearing the sinuses and provides relaxation.
10. Massage combining twenty drops of essential oil with 100 ml of base oil. It would be useful home remedy in treating chest congestion.
11. There is an affirmative correlation among steam and heat. This helps in opening the sinuses and cures chest congestion.
12. Horsehound is an herb that consist flavonoids that helps in making the mucous thin which in turn aids in chest congestion.
13. Echinacea encourages the body to produce white cells and these white cells helps in fighting with the infection. This can be used regularly as a precautionary measure.
14. Valerian root can be taken in the form of pills; it helps in the relaxation of the muscles. This would be fruitful in minimizing the chest congestion.
15. Another useful home remedies for chest congestion is thyme. It contains flavonoids, that helps to make the mucous thin.