The nerve which begins from spinal cord in the lower back runs through hip and goes into the back of lower leg, is the longest nerve in the body which is known as sciatic nerve. This nerve is responsible for controlling many muscles, ligaments and sensation of the thigh and lower leg. The pain in the sciatic nerve is called Sciatica. The pain may be caused due to compression or irritation in this nerve.
Generally symptom of sciatica is felt on one side of the body. Major symptoms are -
1. Mild or severe pain in the various parts of leg, buttock and/or lower back is the common symptom of sciatica.
2. Numbness, tingling, muscular weakness and burning sensation in the lower back, thigh or in the back of leg may indicate onset of sciatica.
3. Sciatica make of movement of leg difficult and more pain is felt when doing activities like walking or bending at the waist.
Any cause which produce irritation or compression to the lumbar nerves L4 or L5 or sacral nerves S1, S2 or S3 or sciatic nerve itself causes sciatica. Prolapsed disc is the major cause of compression of sciatic nerve in the lower spine and hence lower part of the spine is the most vulnerable to sciatica. Major causes are -
1. Spinal disc herniation is the most common cause of sciatica. When the extruded liquid from center (nucleus pulposis) of disc tears the external ring of fiber and move into spinal canal it is called Disc herniation. It compresses one of the sciatic nerve roots against the lamina or pedicle of a vertebra and causes inflammation and swelling of nearby tissues, thus causing sciatica.
2. Tumors developed on nerve roots or spinal cord can become a cause of sciatica.
3. Damage to spine or sciatic nerve due to an accident may cause sciatica.
4. Life style and habits like prolonged sitting or standing in same posture may become a potential cause of sciatica. Pain behind the knee cap and numbness are symptoms of this type of sciatica.
5. Normally sciatic nerves run through beneath the piriformis muscle. However, in some people it runs through the piriformis muscle. Due to overuse of this muscle or trauma to this muscle sciatic nerve get compressed. This condition is called piriformis syndrome and is a cause of sciatica. Commonly it is known as 'wallet sciatica'.
6. A medical condition in which spinal canal narrows and hence spinal cord get compressed is known as Spinal stenosis. This condition causes sciatica.
Sciatica can be prevented to some extent by maintaining proper life style and regular exercises. For getting relief from pain due to sciatica, Rumatone Gold capsules are most effective. Rumatone Gold capsules also correct the system of body which helps in preventing recurrence of sciatica. It is prepared with best quality of pain reliever herbs like sonth, pipal, suranjan, rigni, rasna etc.
Massage with ayurvedic oil like Rumatone Gold oil is particularly helpful in relieving the compression and irritation on sciatic nerves. Massage with Rumatone Gold oil along with Rumatone Gold capsules gives best result in sciatica treatment.